Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tres Magnifique!

So, the Creme Brulee French Toast was pretty good! I altered the recipe enough that I am just going to post what I did here. The original recipe is from All Recipes. Next time I would use a denser bread and leave it out for a while to get a little bit stale. I used Texas toast and it was too moist and fluffy which made the French toast a little soggy for my taste. Ididn't put the Grand Marnier in, but I would next time. Also, you could use cream, but I used skim milk 'cause that's how I roll.

Creme Brulee French Toast
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
  • 6 slices of bread (or more if they are small)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon orange liqueur (Grand Marnier)
  1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and maple syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Arrange bread in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and orange brandy. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
  4. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.
Super yummy and easy! Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you started a blog. I love peeking into your world. I love Creme Brulee. We're trying to be good kids for a while, get into better eating habits. But that recipe will go on my stack for the special "we've been good I'm going to treat myself". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see all that high school French going to good use. I'm with Pam, I will try this one when I am feeling indulgent... and wealthy enough to but Grand Marnier!

    ReplyDelete